Thursday, August 19, 2010

Port Elizabeth, and our experiences with large animals

Port Elizabeth is a cute coastal city, our main agenda for this city was to go to the Addo Elephant park , and the Sunnyside Lion Park. And so we only stayed here a couple of days, but the memories I have from this city will be will me forever




We were able to be so close to the elephants, it was a really neat experience to just sit in our car and watch them. This baby elephant was so cute, it would not wander far from its mother. At one point when i was driving i apparently got to close to a calf and it started "yelling" and i heard the mother yell back and at the corner of my eye i could see her coming towards our car. I high tailed it out of there with my heart beating out of my chest.
It was interesting because the elephants would just stare at us back and continue eating, but they would make sure to stay a safe distance away from our car.The hole in this elephants ear is from fighting another elephant.

This is a look out point, I don't know if you can read the sign, but it says to beware of lions.(click on picture to see a bigger version)  I was a little wary when we took the picture.



There were so many elephants, it was quite breathtaking.
yep that is a lion, and yes there is just a flimsy fence in between us. ( they advised us not to run, or jump in this area) Oh Africa, you make everyone else look like wimps with our plexi-glass...



Meet Thor, he is an albino lion and he is quite beautiful, and he knows it too. He posed for us for about 10 minutes.


Me and a baby lion, they are quite the little rascals, all they wanted to do was bite me and pounce on me( thus my back against the fence), but i guess they ARE lions...
I know it looks like i am choking it but its just the angle... Rusty said i could be their mother because we have the same color hair, and i like to sleep all day and stay up late!
Water buffaloes, they don't look dangerous, but they are mean if you get too close to them

Mama lions, this doesn't show how big they are, this is also and albino.

Port Elizabeth coast

3 comments:

The Trotter Family said...

I am enjoying watching your travels from the comforts of my home. You guys take some really amazing pictures!

Unknown said...

Calvin liked this post - he was watching the Lion King at the same time = ). He was impressed that you were with lions. Nice pics.

Teresa said...

Oh my gosh - how cool is this? What an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing all your photos! It's really awesome to see your epic adventure :)